Followers

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Poem #410


February 13th, 2017

If I could write a love letter to you
I would tell you how I speak about you constantly
Yet privately I am distant from you
Stacking up emotions of what could have been
When in reality
My rational is incomplete
I support your DNA with grace
Yet shunned through the eyes questioning
How can one raise
Solely on one’s own
Silently a question thrown to the wolves
Since this life is the norm
Strong
Black
Stigma
The matrix covered most of the blue pill
Since 18 years will be covered by shadows of what used to be
18 years of being told that my life is only the reflection of my offspring
That 18 years signify how my dreams will only collide with walls of determination
And proving to the world that they are wrong
Needing motivation as a drug to live
Yes... live... a life that is sentenced to 18 years
And since you are my offspring you are destined to a life sentence
And since you are my offspring your dreams may shatter walls at 15
And since you are my offspring praying that you will not leave me just to be on a pole
Is the only prayer I will know
Because the moment my love died
I was giving my daughter a life sentence of what she could only hope for…
is love
So writing a love letter stops in tracks of misguided attention
Streamed to the world as hate
Yet I’m loving…
Black
Woman
Angry at the world for taking a man
Yet I pray to the Man upstairs to protect us from harm
I pray that he will guide me through these storms
He would not put more on me than I can handle
Yet HE never told me that a bullet of words would strike me
And have no compassion for a love that I can only write for
Classified as a gift
So I write love letters
To a love that has died yet left me his extension
With a hotline that needs me to guide them through life
Cradle her with love
Shelter her from triggers of
Self-hate
Denial
Truth
Through verbal designations
Since Valentine’s Day is merely about candy for a six-year-old girl
Yet I patiently wait for more
More of what love can endure
Yet I sit to write a love letter to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment