Followers

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Poem #406


Wrap your heavenly wings around my physique. Compress your flesh upon mine. And (hold on). Cling to me like memories of the fallen, remind me of what a functioning heartbeat feels like,
(Be Silent). --Atlas

I’m sorry I neglected your heart.
Not allowing you to freely exchange
Who you are through the pain
I was just raising you
Doing my best with what I had
And I know that holding myself accountable
Takes time and reflecting
I’m a mother nonetheless
But raising a son alone was never my quest
I wanted a man to show you
What I thought I could handle
But life escapes those that once loved
So I became complacent and determined
At the same time
Refusing to listen to the naysayers of what I can’t do
And became blind
Your expectations of what you needed me to be
Became the reality of what I fed my hunger
Only to satisfy my guilty conscience
Yet in order to breathe, you have to live
And in order to walk, you have to move
So I became a shell
Never processing of how you would grow up to be
Rather knowing I created a man in my reflection
While rejecting your vulnerability
Layering you with only the labels that cripples our being
Yet I need you to come here
And sit
Be still in this tiring time and realize that i never meant to neglect nor reject
I just need you to look into my eyes and know
I’m sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment